If you are a prepper or survivalist, keeping binoculars with you is a must. Read the article to understand more about binoculars and use them more frequently.
When preparing for any survival situation, binoculars might not be often found on your equipment list. However, you need to seriously consider keeping one around as they are exceptionally useful for any kind of survival scenario. You will find them useful enough for hunting animals to scouting missions. Let’s go through the discussion below to understand and discover more about binoculars and how to use them appropriately.
Binoculars for Preparedness
A prepper must have quality binoculars. They are valuable for him on a daily basis. To scout and recon missions, military scouts utilize binoculars. A ship’s crew uses it regularly, almost hourly, when they are at sea and underway. They need it to spot land, ships on the horizon, and changes in weather conditions.
If you love hunting, having a pair of binoculars is a must. Binoculars help gather recon about game animals before your hunting trips get started. It will help you to figure out where elk, bears, and other animals regularly walk to make yourself ready and stay in the perfect position for your coming trip.
occer 12×25 Compact Binoculars with Clear Low Light Vision, Large Eyepiece Waterproof Binocular for Adults Kids,High Power Easy Focus Binoculars for Bird Watching,Outdoor Hunting,Travel,Sightseeing
- 【HIGH-POWERED LARGE EYEPIECE BINOCULARS】 This binoculars has 12x magnification, 25mm objective lens and wide field of view, 273ft/1000yds, letting you look farther and see wider. Coating with FMC Broadband coating and premium BAK4 prism, it ensure imaging verisimilar.
- 【ADJUSTABLE EYE CUPS FIT EYEGLASS WEARERS OR NOT】The binocs can be pull down the rubber eyepieces and more fit the glasses wearer, getting close to lens and see easily. The long eye relief combined with large eyepiece give you a comfortable viewing while wearing sunglasses or eye glasses. For those who do not wear glasses, will gain more focused slight and feel more easeful through rising eye cups. The compact binoculars has 15mm large eyepieces, can see more clear image than other binoculars.
- 【FMC BROADBAND COATING TECHNOLOGY】The lightweight cruise binoculars is cover with BAK4 prism texture. The objective lens use optical FMC multilayer broadband green film, and the eyepiece-optical is made of blue FMC coating. All design ensure to provide a good image and make you have a amazing experience.
- 【PORTABLE, COMPACT AND SMALL BINOCULARS DESIGN】 One hand can be mastered when you use the birding binoculars for opera,bird watching camping, traveling,wildlife watching,football games,cruise or other outside activity, the low light night vision goggles(Not for completely dark night) is more convenient for using and carrying.
- 【DURABLE AND LIFE WATERPROOF, COMFORTABLE TOUCH】 The binoculars are made of ABS plastic and it also come with a cruise binocular strap, you can use this item in different situations. And rubber armor is made for secure grip.The pocket size binoculars is not only suitable for men and women,but also suitable for kids.It is wonderful to be a gift on Father’s Day and Children’s Day.
You can also use binoculars for spotting an ambush on a scouting mission. It can help monitor any developments and scan the surrounding area when you are at your retreat. You can use it to see through dense cover that is usually impossible to see through.
Binoculars are useful during daytime missions too as they will help you to look for cover to hide. It also allows you to spot someone who is approaching from your position before they see you.
If any extreme survival situation occurs, you can use binoculars to start a fire by modifying them. When a flintstone is not available, you can use its lens like a magnifying glass. Likewise, you can use the lens as a signaling device too if needed. Click bestofbinoculars.com to get the one that best suits your requirements.
However, overall, you may love to use binoculars for the following reasons if you are a prepper or survivalist:
- Monitoring surroundings if you are encamped
- Over-watching a position if you are holed up
- Scouting your path ahead
- Signaling to friendly individuals or groups
- Starting a fire
- Gathering recon about combatants, animals, and supplies near you
- Seeing through dense cover
Is It Okay to Use a Rifle Scope Instead of Binoculars?
When other options are not available, of course, you can use a rifle scope temporarily. However, using it in place of binoculars is not the best thing to do due to the following reasons:
- Identifying Unknown Objects: While you are trying to identify any threats or unknown objects and those objects turn out to be humans, they will surely dislike having weapons pointed at them and might consider that you are threatening them.
- Detecting Movements: It’s always easier to detect and focus movements using two eyes. Using them both is far less fatiguing. Though it is easy for the human eye to notice movements, you will require the ability to find out if that is a person or wolf crawling towards you. Binoculars can make that simpler regardless of your cover.
- Scanning with Less Movement: Using binoculars can help scan the area with less movement. It saves your energy as well as decreases your chances of being spotted while scoping rifles can increase the chances due to their long and easy-to-detect structure.
- Providing a Better View: Binoculars provide a better view for larger fields, increasing the speed of scanning or searching your area.
Binoculars 20×50, HD Professional/Waterproof Binoculars for Adult, Durable & Clear BAK4 Prism FMC Lens Binoculars. Suitable for Outdoor Sports and Concert, Bird Watching.
- Professional High Powered Binoculars – Binoculars with 20X high power magnification and 50mm objective lens, provides wider field of view at 1000 yards. perfect binoculars for bird watching, concerts, football game,climbing, hiking, driving, watching wildlife and scenery. It also features higher-resolution,greater light transmittance and Mindistortion, provides bright and sharp images without color difference.
- Weak Light Vision with Quality Optics – This HD binoculars watching comes with BAK-4 Prism and FMC film lens, which minimizes the loss of light due to reflection, thereby ensuring brighter and clearer high-contrast images. It has the effect of low-light night vision,It cannot be used in a completely dark environment.
- Binoculars for Adults & Kids – Our HD binoculars perfectly fit adults and some children,it comes with adjustable twist-up eyecups for comfortable use with glasses or without. The folding function makes binoculars easy to focus to obtain a clear image, very simple to operate even by kids.
- Durable, Waterproof & Comfortable Grip – powerful binoculars is made of rubber-armored coating and leather, O-ring sealed optics with fog-proof coating prevents moisture, dust, and debris from getting inside the binoculars, ensures it waterproof,shock-resistance, durable and provides a firm grip.
- Suitable for a variety of scenarios – High quality, high power binoculars for a variety of scenarios, including concerts, football, bird-watching, hunting and more, will add more fun to your life.
How Powerful Should Your Binoculars Be?
Binoculars come with a variety of magnification levels. You may think that higher magnification is always better, but this might not be true for every case. When you need handheld binoculars, a lower magnification level will be much better for most purposes as the high magnification makes the images move around too much as well as it being unsettling to see.
Again, too low of magnification can make it difficult while you are trying to see something at a distance as it is not that different from how you usually see things. To get a stable magnification and clear image, choosing a seven or eight times magnification can be a good idea.
What Are the Tips to Select the Right Binocular?
You will find tons of options to choose from, and selecting the right pair can be very difficult. After determining the best level of magnification for your needs, choose a design.
For survival purposes, roof prism or straight-through binoculars might not be that effective as they have fairly straight tubes from the objective lens to the eyepiece that is used typically for theater glasses.
If you are a prepper, the offset type of binoculars will be the better option for you. These binoculars come with a much larger objective lens that makes more light pass through. When there is a larger distance and additional light, it will provide a better perception as well as gauging of distances. As the light travels through the lens in a “Z” shape, offset-type binoculars are designed in a smaller length which makes them ideal for survivalists.
While buying your binoculars, try to remember the following tips:
- If you are buying binoculars, make sure it isn’t a cheap one. Buying binoculars other than a high quality will be a mistake for sure.
- Try to stick with the major brands such as Bushnell, Fujinon, and Nikon binoculars.
- The binoculars that have larger lenses collect more light and work better in low-light conditions as well.
- If you prefer lighter binoculars that are easier to carry, selecting compact binoculars can be a good choice, but you might not get the benefits of using them in lower light.
Must-Know Facts Before Buying Binoculars
Understand the following facts about binoculars before buying yours:
- Objective Lens Sizes: An objective lens of a bigger size can take in more light and perform better in low light. Bigger lenses are heavier in weight and are more expensive.
- Prisms: Porro prism binoculars are lower in price but perform relatively better. As the first set of binoculars, Porro prisms can be a great choice. They are usually larger and heavier. Though roof prisms are more compact, Porro prisms are more expensive. They are also popular as they can last a lifetime in the binoculars.
- Coatings: To improve image quality dramatically, coatings matter. It can help compensate for other features that your binocular is lacking. You will find coatings on every air-to-glass surface when it’s a multi-coated binocular and makes them the best quality to use.
- Glass Type: BK-7 and BAK-4 are the two main types of glass used in binoculars. BAK-4 is of higher quality and more expensive. If you want to have the best quality binoculars possible, BAK-4 can be the best choice. However, if you are buying a set for your kids or need to have a backup pair of binoculars, the BK-7 can be adequate.
- Magnification: As we have discussed before, higher magnifications are not always better to use. It can make your image distorted by the slightest shake of your hand, whereas lower magnification can create a problem to get a good view of the distance. As such, study your needs and buy as per your usage.
- Focusing: You will find both independent eyes focusing and center focusing available. As you are getting these for SHTF, the obvious requirement will be to focus on objects quickly. Try out both to compare their focusing mechanisms and buy what you need.
- Armor and Eye Cups: To you, comfort might be the least appreciated aspect while using a binocular, but it is important. Believe me, you will not like to use those binoculars after a few minutes if they hurt your eyes or are too heavy to hold up comfortably. So, you should have armor and eyecups to use them.
- Extras: You might get ranging scales and lighted compasses as extras while buying some binoculars.
- Waterproof: Spend a little more and get waterproof binoculars to give them a longer life in case they decide to go for a swim without your permission.
Binoculars give an upright view that is oriented left-to-right. You can naturally use both eyes while using a binocular that makes it more comfortable to use. They provide depth perception as well as improve your visual acuity. Choosing the right binoculars can help ensure you stay secure in any survival situation. While buying yours, make sure you know what you need for prepping, and pick the one that suits your needs.
Best of luck!